digital media access group
...excellent accessibility research and consultancy
This is a archived version of the DMAG website, but the information remains for reference. Please visit the new website for updated information.
Why Web Accessibility?
There are many reasons why you should strive to make your web site as accessible as possible. Perhaps the most compelling include:
- Economic Reasons - It makes sense! If you run a business which relies on or would benefit from a strong web presence, why not design your web site so that it can be accessed (and used!) by as many people as possible?
- Technical Reasons - Your web design skills will benefit; office running costs will also benefit, as the technical advantages of accessible design lead to more efficient site hosting.
- Selfish Reasons - why accessible design benefits YOU.
- Better Design - Research has shown that by designing interfaces accessible to people with disabilities, you make it more accessible to all users.
- Legal Reasons - Under the UK's Disability Discrimination Act (DDA), it may be illegal for you to include information on your site which is inaccessible to certain users. European Union legislation, and legislation in the US and Australia also set out requirements for accessible design.
- Altruistic Reasons - Most obviously, you improve the quality of life for millions of disabled users by allowing them to access your information.
Find out more about which people may have difficulties accessing your site.